Fanaticus Forum  

Go Back   Fanaticus Forum > Discussion > News and Notices

Old 10-03-2011, 11:37 PM
Praetor

Thumbs up Painting: For the Kids!

I recently finished painting a Viking army, and wondered how JM's identical models would turn out. That got me to thinking: it would be interesting to compare a variety of paint jobs on similar models. So...

The plan...

I have a Norse Irish army pack from Essex:
III/46; 1x3Ax (Gen), 5x3Ax, 4x2Ps, 2x3Ax or 4Bd.

I will mail one or more elements to each of up to 14 willing participants. Each of you will paint the element(s) in whatever way you find appropriate, and if you want, post pictures of the process in an appropriate Fanaticus thread. I could also use a volunteer to build or provide a camp. Ship the painted figures back to me whenever you're finished, and I'll complete all the basing for a consistent basing look.

When I have the whole army completed, I'll auction it off. All proceeds will go to the Child's Play charity, benefitting sick kids stuck in hospital beds with nothing to do. Donations can be applied to any local participating hospital, so you can keep your donations within your own community.

What painters are responsible for:
  • Painting one or more elements in time to ship them for the winter holiday season
  • Posting "in progress" pictures if you want
  • Shipping the figures back to me (and absorbing these costs)

What auction bidders are responsible for:
  • Giving lots of money to charity even if they don't win the auction

How to participate:

Send me a private message on Fanaticus telling me the maximum number of elements you're interested in painting and your first choice for which element(s) you want to paint. I'll also need an e-mail address for further communication and a USPS address to ship you the figures once this starts.

I hope to get 14 painters painting only one element each, but I can't guarantee anything until I see how many people are interested.

Fine print:

Signup deadline: October 15th
Painting deadline: November 30th
Auction deadline: December 11th

US or Canada painters and bidders only unless you can make a compelling argument that shipping will be cheap and fast. There will be a lot of shipping going on, so it's important to keep this as cheap and efficient as possible.

If anyone who wants to participate will be at DBV (Congress of Gamers) next weekend or at Fall-In; or if you live in the Pittsburgh area, I can give you the figures in person instead of shipping them to you. Tell me in the personal mail you send me.

This painted army will not match at all. However, it's 100% scientifically proven* that donating money to charity to purchase an army will offset any benefits provided by having the best painted army, so if you lose with this army it's your die rolling at fault and not the paint. Hopefully a consistent basing scheme will tie the army together.

(* Not based on a fact.)

If I don't get enough willing participants, I'll post a Warning notice on this thread, and then cancel the project. This will make me sad, and I'll probably post pictures of crying kittens to torment you.

Painters are allowed to bid for the army. They can bid even more since this saves them shipping costs! All other painters are responsible for their own shipping costs.

With this many participants, I can't guarantee that nothing will go wrong, and I can't take responsibility for other peoples' actions or lack thereof.

Please post any questions or comments. Send requests to participate directly to me unless my mailbox is full.

Thanks!

Alan Ferrency

Last edited by ferrency; 10-04-2011 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Changed shipping plan
Old 10-04-2011, 06:24 PM
Fanatici

I would definately be in for that. I can paint what you will need and paint it well.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:22 PM
Praetor

Default Shipping/basing Updated

Hello,

After receiving some comments, I've updated the post above to change how I'm handling shipping.

Instead of shipping out bases and having each painter base their own elements, I'll send only the figures, and painters can ship them back to me. I'll do all the basing, so the army has a somewhat consistent look even if the figures are painted very differently. I'll make sure each painter's figures are based together.

This should also save on shipping costs for the painters since the packages will be smaller.

I also clarified that ideally, we will have 14 painters participating. We're almost halfway there!

Thanks!

Alan
Old 10-07-2011, 12:03 PM
Praetor

We're up to 8 painters, now.

Shortly, I'll be leaving for the weekend. I'll bring the figures to DBV tomorrow in Rockville, MD, so see me if you're there and you want to volunteer.

Thanks,
Alan
Old 10-07-2011, 06:28 PM
Fanatici

Count me in.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:11 AM
Centurion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrency View Post
it would be interesting to compare a variety of paint jobs on similar models. So...
What a great idea, Alan!
I'm looking forward to seeing the resulting army.

Maerk
Old 10-10-2011, 08:11 PM
Praetor

Quote:
Originally Posted by drathul View Post
Count me in.
If your Sydney location is the one in the southern hemisphere, I'm afraid I must respectfully decline to include you, due to shipping costs and delays to the US.

If you have applicable figures for a single Norse Irish stand and want to send them to me painted, I would be happy to include your efforts! But I anticipate shipping out 8-10 packages, so to be fair to all I need to set a consistent policy and stick with it.

I was out of town this weekend, but I hope to catch up on responses tonight.

Thanks!
Alan
Old 10-13-2011, 03:23 PM
Praetor

Hello,

It's just about your last chance to volunteer to paint one small element of this army, so act while you can!

I'll be sending out a request for peoples' addresses shortly, and shipping out figures probably next Monday after I know the final headcount.

Thanks!
Alan
Old 10-14-2011, 04:20 PM
Praetor

Hello,

I've sent out e-mail or Fanaticus messages to all participants. Tell me if you expected a response and didn't get any.

There is still room for a last minute volunteer or two, especially if you like building camps.

Otherwise, I forgot to note in the previous e-mail:
Please apply any finishing varnish spray to your figures that you want, or tell me if you want me to do it. I won't overspray unless you request it, even though my personal preference is for dull and not shiny figures.

Thanks!

Alan
Old 10-19-2011, 10:49 AM
Praetor

Project Update:

All elements have been shipped out, and you should be receiveing them soon if you don't have them already.

Shortly I'll be starting a discussion thread where people can share their painting reseaarch.

Thanks to all painters. I look forward to seeing how this army turns out!

Alan