Fanaticus Forum  

Go Back   Fanaticus Forum > Rules > DBA 1.0-2.2

Old 08-04-2016, 01:41 AM
Primus Pilus

Default V1.1 for Solo Play

As a short -term measure, I find that I have gone back to v1.1 for solo play. I do tend to use the version 2 army lists, though. My armies were long ago converted to the v2 equivalents.

Obviously, there is a lack of the hordes troop type, but I have one army where hordes have to be chosen, the Early Egyptian (I/2a). The only historical army that I have to oppose it are the Nubians (I/3), who don't have any mounted. As the Egyptian horde represents less well-trained conscripts under local leadership, I can play them as an element of spear, which gives a slightly lower combat factor against infantry. The higher combat factor against mounted is irrelevant.

Version 1.1 plays simply and elegantly. I am considering trying a simple solo campaign.

Version 1.1 gives a lot more freedom for terrain, which isn't a problem for solo play, but I suspect may not be so good if there is a danger of 'cheesy' competitive play. Nevertheless, when revamping my terrain, I have gone for doing terrain pieces that would be legal for 2.2/2.2+, and be useful for HotT.

I suspect that this might not be the long-term gaming option for me, but it is giving me pleasure now.
Old 08-04-2016, 03:28 AM
Praetor

Play what you want Richard, enjoyment is the most important thing, and if you are playing solo, pencil in changes for hordes etc.

David Constable
Old 08-04-2016, 07:30 AM
Fanatici

I've been a solo gamer for years. For me the best way to make solo games work is to take some time with the battle set up - call it scenario writing. Version 1.1 does have a simplicity that melds nicely with scenario building and solo games.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:22 AM
Fanatici

1.1 is my default set for solo games together with One Hour Wargames. Both are deceptivley simple and forgiving of 'house rules'.