Fanaticus Forum  

Go Back   Fanaticus Forum > Discussion > Strategy and Tactics

Old 03-14-2008, 07:57 PM
Tony Aguilar

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kuijt
Evil Central Woods terrain with Nefarious Crossroads (tm)
It is already on my Christamas list. I can only hope it will be under the tree this year!
Old 03-16-2008, 08:58 AM
JohnValiant

Default Aar

Ok, had a fun afternoon yesterday and ended up somewhare in the middle out of 12 players.

1st game vs Celtiberians
Lost terrain, but he put more on the table than i liked (of course - he had even more BGo elements). Got a H(S) on left and Wd on right and opposite non the opponnents half of the table. Got out-PIPed in the Wd on my right flank and could never really mitigate the situation. This opponent usually do very vell with BGo armies. Result 1-4.

2nd game vs Ptolomiec (II/20c i belive - 2x4Bd, El, 2x3Kn, 4x4Pk and then some)
Lost terrain and ended up with a pooltable divided by a river (non-paltry it turned out), Ww on rigth flank and a tiny march in my left corner. He reserved El,Kn and LH for attack from the Ww.
Saw it as my only chance to get the riverbanks for the melee bonus. He had the means and space to outmanouver me with QK elements on both flanks. The Low PIPs foced me to leave the Art behind (had it and Cv in a position to counter a flanking force fron the Ww). Acctually made it to a good defensive position at the riverbank but was outrolled in the ensuing melee. The ability to support while in the river (as its niether good or bad) vexed me a bit but mostly because I lost I imagine . Felt a bit like a hopeless game before the river was set to non-paltry which gave me a glimpse of hope, quickly smothered of course. Result 0-4

3rd game vs Teutonic Order
I won terrain. Used something similar to that used in the fist game, with smaller terrain pieces. (Must try your suggestion DK, sounds fun ).
The oppnent put Bw on the H(s) on his right flank and Ax+Ps in the Wd on his left. Kn-line + Cv in the middle with 2LH going for my camp on his right flank.

I put up a (defensive it turned out) line linking the Wd on my left to the H(s) on my right. I stood my ground after I moved to premium postions and provoked his advance but targeting the Kn with my Art. The 2 LH were halted by a Wb ZOC and retreated. I had to move up to face his coming Bw on my left flank and let the 2 LH into my Camp "box". When they arrived and was out of his Gen reach i attacked with my Cv (gen) and LH. Low PIP and some bad rolls later the result was both his LH killed vs my LH.
In holy wrath (frustration i guess) he attacked where he could (i had made a pretty nasty line with Wb lodged in the terrain covering much of the way to the Art etc) and got bad matchups and fought uphill. After some unsuccessfull turns for both of us my Art killed one of his Kn in melee (: ) (i had combad value 2 vs his adjusted value of 1). And I rolled up his right flank with my troops on the H(s) from inside out. Result 4-1.

4rd game vs a Greek army. (Sp, Cv, LH, Art, Wb, Ps, Ax)
Got to place the terrain.
He put up a Sp-line in the middle-to-right(his) and Ax+Ps in Wd on his left. I put Wb on my left in the Wd and Wb+Bd+Ps on the H(s) on the right. Art in the middle with Cv. LH on my left.
His LH advansed along my left flank, going for the camp. I moved my elements on the right flank and held my elements on the left. I pushed for the Wd on his left and managed to reach it at the same time as his line of Sp almost reached my Art. I faced the Sp with my Cv gen and the Wb from the Wd on my left. His Sp was flanked by a Wb wich i turned, locked and killed just before impact between Sp an my Cv/Wb. His Art i got with a doublemove from one of the warbands moving up on my right flank. In the last turn i got one Sp on the left flank and the Ax on my right. Result 4-0.

Conclusion
i bought the Dacians for BBDBA and ill use them for that (And, hopefully, even more DBMM100/200) in the future. I will probably not play DBA tournaments with them again, i dont feel that comfortable with them and often go on the defensive wich i dont like. But sometime i must try out DKs trademarked super-terrain-placement! Thanks for the input!

Last edited by JohnValiant; 03-16-2008 at 09:01 AM.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:23 AM
David Kuijt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnValiant
After some unsuccessfull turns for both of us my Art killed one of his Kn in melee (: ) (i had combad value 2 vs his adjusted value of 1).
Can't happen -- look at the combat table. Anything doubled by Art in combat will recoil (Cv/LH/Ps flee instead).
Old 03-16-2008, 12:36 PM
JohnValiant

Smile I stand corrected

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kuijt
Can't happen -- look at the combat table. Anything doubled by Art in combat will recoil (Cv/LH/Ps flee instead).
Well, thats true for doubling, but it can happen on a roll of higher if its a Kn i BGo I dont remember the rolls, just the combat values.

Apparently was a bit on the slow side yesterday. Having an infant (and a two-years old) at home with no feeling for day or night can do that to you.

Anyways, you are correct as usual - as I recollect it after an almost undistubed night it was in GGo (otherwise the Kn would have been at -1).

In any case i won 10-2 as we count it over here (the winner gets 12 - 1 per element lost (2 for the 1st) so a win of 5-1 doesnt count more than a win of 4-1, I missed that yesterday eveneing when translating the game to "general" VP counting - just counted the win as a "4") as i got 2 more elements that turn, besides the Kn. 1 Cv in BGo just next to the Art and the Ax just next to that. The total being 4-1 in the end (when removing the Kn from the kills).

Last edited by JohnValiant; 03-16-2008 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:41 PM
JohnValiant

the tournament on a friends blogg:

http://www.metrobloggen.se/jsp/publi...cle=19.1499165
Old 07-05-2016, 08:03 PM
Centurion

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kuijt View Post
I rarely double them up -- Warband are one of the better "surprise" elements there are, and lining up and fighting frontally completely abandons that potential.

The Dacians are a very interesting maneuver army. Don't make it too easy for your enemy to figure out where the battle will end up. Don't start with your warband in the center, either. If you win terrain, use the Evil Central Woods terrain with Nefarious Crossroads (tm), which will allow you excellent chances to wrong-foot your enemy.
I rekindled this old thread as I'll be taking on Big Bad Rome tomorrow with my newly renovated II/52 Dacians, this time with the optional, Sarmatian 3Kn element. Seems much of what DK suggested years ago would still apply for V-3. Although one can't lay a Woods dead-centre on the board, a Dacian player could still probably lay out something similar to his "Evil Central Woods terrain with Nefarious Crossroads (tm)".

Any other suggestions for giving Trajan fits with Dacians in V-3? Historically, in NAGS play here, it's been titled in Rome's favor; EIR is 33-23 versus the lads from Dacia.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:14 AM
Centurion

This could be an interesting army under 3.0 and would merit some experimentation.

I think I would aim to have more smaller pieces of terrain.

The deployment restrictions will likely mean most infantry will be deployed in the centre of the table. However, in my view the ability of 3Wb and 3Bd to move quickly through terrain could be useful. I can see them bursting through woods to hack at the flanks of the Romans. The Sarmatians add further interest in the centre.

Command and control will be problematic.

Ancient & Medieval wargaming using DBA:
http://ancientwargaming.wordpress.com/